Hey you happy bodies. Here’s what I’ve been reading this week. Share with me what you’ve been reading & writing!
- Newt Racism: The Racially Coded Language of Presidential Candidates (Sociological Images): As Larry Wilmore says, “It’s 2011, you can’t just say black people are lazy”. Instead, you just imply it.
- Long-Term Worldwide Decline in Abortions Has Stalled, and Unsafe Abortions Have Increased (Guttmacher Institute): Icky to hear, but important facts to know.
- Sometimes being rude is the acceptable response (Womanist Musings): It always bothers me that what’s considered to be the most “rational” response to an argument is the one that’s the most emotion-less. If someone says something really damaging and offensive, couldn’t getting angry be the most rational thing?
- Do You Feel Safe Running Alone? (Hello Ladies): This really describes my feelings of being alone in public spaces.
- Shuffling Feet: a black man’s view on Schroedinger’s Rapist (Free Thought Blogs): Really thought-provoking! A reflection on the concept of Schroedinger’s rapist, from a man who is often viewed in public spaces as threatening – both due to his race & gender. A great analysis of the intersections of anti-black racism & sexism.
- If I Can’t Dance, Is it Still My Revolution? An interview with AJ Withers (Shameless Magazine): Great overview on radical disability activism, what it’s about, how it differs from mainstream disability activism, and how to be an ally.
- The postnatal body project (F-Word Blog): “. But the overriding message to new mothers today is an amplification of that to the female consumer in general: now you’ve got some work to do, and we’re not talking about lactation. “
- Support Stand4Kids (Communications of A Fat Waitress): A great response to those horrible posters in Georgia.
Plus some fun stuff:
- Yo, is this racist – I linked a round-up last time, but I have now literally read every entry of this blog. It is too good to miss.
- Hand Job Time Machine – I just can’t get over the title of this one.
- #LGBTfacts – In response to a wack twitter account making up fake, harmful facts. Some people started making up their own, better versions.
: If you play the ellen show at double speed, you can hear the minutes for the monthly Meeting Of All The Lesbians.