Tips for Men Who Want to be Allies to Women
This list was created by the 6A section of this year’s FemSex (Female Sexuality) course offered by the Gender and Sexuality Center. We thank them for allowing this to be published on our site.
1. DO really listen to me.
2. DON’T tell me I’m being irrational.
3. DO ask for consent.
4. DON’T tell me why I’m feeling what I’m feeling.
5. DO trust that I know my experience better than anyone else.
6. DO care about women’s issues.
7. DON’T try to tell me how to be a feminist.
8. DO call your friends out when they make sexist comments.
9. DON’T assume that there are any qualities that apply to all women – good OR bad.
10. DO recognize that women are full human beings.
and most importantly . . .
TRUST WOMEN. Trust us to make our own decisions about our bodies, trust us to be in positions of power, trust that we’re telling the truth about our experiences, and trust that we deserve respect and disrespect in exactly the same quantities as men.