Dear Fox News: You Suck.
This is only a 1 minute segment, but there’s a lot wrong with it. See how many things you can find that make you feel uncomfortable, offended, or objectified.
1. They are playing “It’s Getting Hot in Here” in the background – now, I like a good background beat just like anyone else, but that song is certainly about objectifying women for their bodies, plain and simple.
2. The caption says “Women getting hotter, men staying ugly.” It doesn’t say beautiful, which acknowledges attractive features while allowing the person to be more than an object, but the inherently sexualized and objectifying word “hot.”
3. The anchors discuss the findings in a very insulting way – saying “duh” when it’s said that attractive women have more children. Clearly, if you don’t conform to society’s definition of hot, you won’t have children. Nevermind that couples that intentionally have children are often based on more than that, and unplanned pregnancies can happen to anyone, as can infertility. Not to mention the fact that words like “hot” and” beautiful” mean very different things to different people.
4. The women they show are straight out of Maxim or Playboy – not shown as wholly beautiful, not involved in healthy family life or planning to have children, but all incredibly sexualized images. The poses are all the same and all based on one particular standard of beauty. No pictures of happy couples or mothers and children here.
5. When they talk about the men, it’s hard to tell what was written in the report and what was their own commentary, but they don’t even question the idea that beauty is a woman’s evolutionary role, and financial success is a man’s evolutionary role, and that still continues, and that those are equivalent goals for men and women to pursue.
6. In addition, they cite the ability of successful men to “take care of” beautiful women, and the female anchor says something along the lines of “that is our secret evil plan and it’s working.” Really? REALLY? All women have a secret plan to become beautiful, find the biological equivalent of a successful man, and force them to take care of them while reproducing? Is that really all women are equipped to do? And we’re IN ON IT? We love being objectified, demeaned, and having our ability to achieve anything other than a skinny waist and a sexy pose questioned. It’s awesome, really.
Anything I missed? Because I pretty much always have problems with the way women are treated and discussed on Fox News, but this was too appalling to ignore